Monday, September 13, 2010

Fixing Myself

Objects With Faces-Evil Pastry
see more Happy Chair Is Happy

I don't like going to the doctor. I never have. I will if absolutely necessary (I can't reset my own bones, for example) but if I can try my own fix I will.

It is no secret that I have had issues with my weight in the past (why I started this blog) and every day is a struggle with the balance of food and exercise and keeping myself at the weight I desire. Hormone imbalances run in my family, especially thyroid conditions, and I am trying to figure out on my own if that is also my issue. I don't have health insurance and I don't want to be on medication all my life, so I am reading a few metabolism regulating books to see what are some offenders in my diet that I can get rid of.

I am waiting on a book from Prevention Magazine to come in the mail, and while that is happening I am reading "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. So far it has been helpful in identifying certain bad items (like soy and my fave Tostitos Hint of Lime chips that have 5 BAD ingredients) that I have in my fridge. I already like eating whole unprocessed foods and I don't eat very many processed foods. It is crazy when you really start reading the ingredients on your products. I am an avid label reader for calories and fat, but now I am reading for things like different types of sugars and preservatives. It seems exhaustive but I am hoping in the long run it will help.

If anything, it just makes me mindful of the things going in my mouth for more than just dietetic reasons. I have never been a big fan of fat free cookies and all that crap, but little things like coffee creamer that I use daily I am going to have to switch up. Or eating things with artificial sweeteners (I like Crystal Light and the occasional diet soda).

I haven't gotten to the part of the book were they discuss soaps and shampoos. . .that is going to be a tough one because I have my products that I just love to use and have been using for ages. But I will try. If I start seeing a difference I will certainly blog all about it and tell you all.

Here's an organic non-BPA laced bottoms up to me and to my health!

2 comments:

  1. the chemical water that is diet soda is so hard to give up. I can do it... I've done it but I absolutely love a good cold bottle of glass of Diet Pepsi or Coke Zero... LOVE IT!!

    I would also love to have that book. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate going to the doctor too and don't have insurance. I always try to fix myself, lol. Good luck with your fix. Loved that book, but I didn't really stick with it, sigh, I tend to do that.

    ReplyDelete