Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Feel like a Million Dollar Baby: Boxing Boot Camp with VFitness

This is Victor Rojas, amateur boxer and personal trainer, and he wants to beat your ass. Better yet, he wants to beat your fat butt into submission and get you into fantastic shape through his boxing and interval training and conditioning program at VFitness.





I am all about kickboxing, but have never donned a pair of real boxing gloves and tried real boxing. Mostly because I don't want to ruin my beautiful face, but also because most gyms I have visited don't have a real boxing option. After watching Jillian Michaels work over Biggest Loser contestants with her boxing pads, I have been dieing to try it out and jumped at the invitation that Victor extended!












VFitness meets in Central Park at the Bethesda Fountain (ever seen "Angels in America"?). Monday night was BEAUTIFUL, crisp and cool, and was perfect for all the work I was going to be undertaking. I ran from my apartment to the fountain because of all the gorgeousness, but also because I didn't know what the class was going to be like. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have walked because the class burned plenty of calories!






The fountain is undergoing some work- It looks like they have captured the angel to prevent her from escaping! (This is me being artsy fartsy.)





Victor lent me a pair of boxing gloves to use for class, and then introduced me to the basic boxing stance, jab, cross, hook, uppercut, pivoting, and ducking so I would be ready for the drills. The first time my gloves made contact with the pads I was sold. It is super satisfying to punch something as hard as you can! I also could feel my heart pumping and my arms and legs working immediately, so I knew I was in for something good.



The workout consists of shadow boxing, where Victor tells you what punches to throw on his go. Then it was sparring with a partner.






These two participants (Tyler and Berman Sr.) show the sparring portion of the workout. Each person takes turns hitting the other person's gloves. I got to work with Victor one on one, and he is a very patient and motivating teacher! He has a relaxed and easy going vibe that makes you feel comfortable, but he is also tough.


Example: After the sparring, it was time for interval drills. I was already feeling the burn, but add 5 burpees, running up the stairs, 10 push ups at the top of the stairs, and then running down the stairs times 8 and you would be a little red in the face and winded, too. No rest for the weary, Victor then made us do 4 sets of old school jumping jacks, push ups, planks, etc., and then run laps around the fountain. AND then abs.


The class runs at 90 minutes, and for a mere $20 you get more than your money's worth. The only necessary piece of equipment is boxing gloves, which can be purchased on the VFitness website for $19.99 or bought on your own. Victor will let you borrow gloves in the beginning, but your hands sweat SO much you will want your own pair to sweat into.


The boxing classes meet in Central Park, in Astoria, and in Prospect Park with sessions to be extended soon to the Bronx. VFitness also offers private training in Manhattan and in Queens. The classes in Central Park are held Mondays and Wednesdays at 7:00 PM.


Think boxing may be too hard for you? I spoke with student Dana who has been training with Victor for 4 years. She is an inspiration: Not only is she recovering from surgery for fibroids, she has lost over 65 pounds, going from 200 pounds to 135 pounds and is now training to do fitness competitions. Dana said the classes are tough but worth the results. And after how my arms and back feel today, I can definitely agree.


VFitness is worth your time and money! Check out their website for further information. I will see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Really Good Blog ..................... and you talking real sense too. Great!

    ReplyDelete