Friday, November 20, 2009

What I Learned from The 30 Day Shred

My goal in starting this blog was to find a way to write about the things that made me excited about fitness and then share that information with others. I wanted a community where people could come together and find their "thing": Like kickboxing? Pole dancing? Weight lifting? Whatever it was, I wanted to try it out and share it so that everyone can find what they love to do and stick with it. Why run if you hate running, right?

But I am only me, and my information is only as good as the people who read it. And if it is just me, well. . .that's not very helpful. I already know this stuff is good.

I started a Twitter account, and through the Twitterverse I started to make connections and meet people who, like me, had a passion for fitness and health. I didn't want to sell anything (Although I do, I hate being pushy. I find it supremely annoying.) or try to make anyone do my bidding. I didn't care if I had a million followers. My goal was to make as many real, meaningful connections as I possibly could.

Through all the muck and mire and BJ photos, I found Paula Seymour and her Celebrate Weight Loss site. I saw her call to action on a 30 day challenge involving Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. Since I already owned it, I thought, "What the heck. I could use some structure." I signed up, and met a wonderful group of women that I am so pleased to call my friends.

We Twitter daily, we watch The Biggest Loser, we share our joys and pains and frustrations. I never thought in a million years when I embarked on this journey that I could find real meaningful connections over the Internet (even though I met my boyfriend that way). The accountability and responsibility I share with these women is a powerful tool.

Here is what I learned:

1.) That I can find time to workout everyday.
2.) I own a lot of workout tapes. A LOT. Which means I never have an excuse not to workout.
3.) I am stronger than I thought I was.
4.) I can take control of my life.
5.) I can make time for all my secondary activities and my day job.
6.) I must make time for myself. It is not selfish.
7.) I am a motivator. This is what I was born to do.
8.) I have to walk the walk and talk the talk.
9.) I can leave my day job and get into the fitness industry where I belong.
10.) I am a BAD ASS. Even if I don't look like Natalie.

This 30 Day Challenge opened up so much for me. I am looking forward to the next challenge and the new year with much enthusiasm and optimism. And I am excited to see you all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment